Friday 28 March 2014

The Kitchen Sink


The Kitchen Sink

Like A Ghost From The Past

She had calmed down by the time she made the second call to me, “Were you listening to me the last  time?” she said quietly over the phone, “I want you here with me.”  There were some worries with her boy friend, I had sensed it the last time around.  “I am ok,” I said and asked her about her house in Reno. “It’s looking lovely up here now, the summers are upon us and the winds have changed direction, the Solar Energy System you had us install is doing very well too.” There was anxiety too here, but we spoke nicely to each other and put the phone down.

I had forgotten about Reno soon as I had got back, like a buried past
and got on with my life here, there were things to do and connections to revive and a job to look for.  In the meanwhile Deanna had gone from one stepping stone to another, she excelled in her profession and had made her moves in the journalism industry too. 

Soon it was 2012 and her first call had been in the month of December that had left me wondering but I had been eager to talk to her, she had been a friend beyond all boundaries and I had forgotten the animosity of the past.  Her tone had conveyed to me that something was amiss now, which was unusual, she normally handled her profession and personal life with aplomb.

Whatever it was, now we would manage it without any problems, like always after talking to her, life was looking like a fast car on an open highway


                             “Life is a Highway, Gonna Ride it All Night Long.”




The Art Of Enchantment

de·sign : to plan and fashion artistically or skillfully.

Still wondering about her, I said to myself, “Let’s Sketch,” it was late night on Saturday, nowhere to go, I took out out an A4 sheet and my sketch pens and laid the margins, I had the T-square, the Compass, Oil Paints, a splash of colour is never appreciate by corporate audience but then this was me. I started to create what I had dreamt of for 6 months now.

 Once I had the sketch ready, I put it into my design folder neatly
stacked up with all my other work, life was getting lonely, there were hardly any friends and work kept me extremely busy.  I took the scanned copy from my Design room and walked to Tech Lab and started to render it out on the machine.  It was taking time to render it and I still had 30 minutes to go, so I walked out for a smoke, heart heavy and feet numb, I took out a Marlboro and lit it up while this voice kept saying in my head,    “Honey It’s Time To Design,”   I just didn’t know where to look, so kept staring out of my window, it was dark, gloomy and dark, just how I had seen the world for months now, a place to eat, sleep and work, the noise on the computer woke me up from reverie and I walked back to the Tech Lab and stared at what I had, it looked perfect, “It always does, it always does, till it goes to the market,” my mind snapped back at me.

Money drives the world, from the marketplaces to the oversized malls; the moneyed economy was ruining the minds of people who still had it in them to create.  If I took the market driven path then I give you what everybody gives you, content, graphics, design and code, its easy isn’t it ? Just do what everybody is doing, stay with the herd and earn bucks for every single effort of yours, pilfer and plagiarize, a big house and Buick outside the house, a pretty wife and two kids standing on the porch.
                              
The Code “P”


Design is all about :

Pattern                                                                            
Panache
Personal
Poise
Perfection.

These are the 5 P’s of design that I have known for centuries, right down from the design of money to the design of websites.  I have adored history, knowing that through centuries, and especially after the World War – II, design has always been shy of media, it hides from publicity, likes to be subtle and sure, defining moment for me during this night.

An umbrella during the rain with water trickling down the sides, the clouds that look menacing before the burst and so beautiful, “Hey, what’s up ?” and I am thinking if it rains today I could design the night away and it did rain today. 



My Tech Lab was looking a little like cluttered and I started to look around for my Book on Design, it wasn’t really about making money, it was me who wanted to design this for myself and I was going to be patient, it always paid to wait around these parts, it was forbidden around here to finish the task before time, it wouldn’t do to ramp up, it was forbidden.
  
Design is a very clean process, and the more we talk about the more we learn, for instance, that special design you thought you saw up there goes into the dustbin, it is all a right brain process.  The design is to the left brain what the code to the right brain and once we have a layout ready I would merge code with it.  I prefer doing everything on my own, it’s all in the design, nobody wants to know what makes it work, but if it looks great then everyone is floored.  So here’s what I came up with after a cup of coffee of course.

  clean and simple
                   with straight lines and
                                                   classic colours to which the coder gives
                                             give a classic 2 column,
                                       with custom graphics.


                   “I got The Blues Tonight and The Rhythm is Awesome”
This entry was posted in