Tuesday 22 January 2013

Fertility is in the mind


Fertility is all in the mind

Abstract

People working together, whether it be clients and partners with suppliers, or whether it just be colleagues on a project, the inherent interactions between humans brings aggression and sometimes sadness when people knowingly fight each other leaving scars on their work cultures.  In the end rationalization, I am not too proud say, is sought to justify aggression against people who are just partners.  This case study is about a project, we undertook in 2010, I had done all the hardwork, set all my people in the field and set them in positions where we would bag the order.  Sadly enough, it is not the hardwork that you planned out but it is this feel that this woman was not paying enough attention to details or that other man who was totally incapable of doing the right thing that sometimes gives me the flashes that I control because I know what I would want you to know to.

I walked into the room filled with people waiting for introspection or atleast a hint that somebody will take the blame.  “All in all this was a sad feeling to know that we have worked so hard, to get nowhere”, I said to a meeting room.
There was a hushed silence and then, Carol got up, “We did the best we could sir.”
I held myself back, “Yes I know.”
She didn’t though, “They got a different supplier and though the rates are low, the quality is very inferior.”
“Yes, I know.”
The mind just stops working when you realise that all that I had worked for in the last 3 months was coming to nothing now. The feeling of sadness was poignant in the room but most people didn’t even realise it, only a few who understood me, realised that.  There was nothing left to do, not even to find somebody to blame.  The baby that was yet to be born had decided on its own that it had no future in our world.
I looked from face to face, “We need to look at this realistically now, our booked orders are not coming through, the totals don’t match up and we are not going to meet our targets.”
You talk about money and who will not get bonuses and who will get sacked and that’s when it sinks in, the depression became even more palpable, some faces turned up from their nonchalant ease.  What was I going to do with these thoughts, I wasn’t even prepared to handle what 2010 was going to bring.  It was cold here and I was standing and thinking of what had happened, while I spoke to this team.  The interest rates were spiralling, a feeling of loss was eminent.  I thought of one of my mentors and began to feel a little better, he had always said,
“Men die
Grass dies
Therefore Men are Grass”

Crying over spilt milk is for fool, it’s the brave one who understands that curdled milk will give you butter. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment