Friday 31 May 2013

The Sequel - Can I Call You On The Telephone

I am just about a thousand away from the 10,000 visitor mark on my blog, and thought it pertinent to write a sequel to my ever popular post, "Can I Call You On The Telephone".  As you would realize, this blog has since moved on to Solar Energy, back then, when I wrote the above mentioned post it was a very personal blog, expressing joy and despair at what was happening in life, to me and my friends.  Those were hectic days I remember, in the October of 2012, there was something in the air and I would keep on tapping on my keyboard to the wee hours of the night.  In October alone I had written 65 posts, and when I look back at my writings of then and now, I realize I have matured a lot as a writer and most definitely as a person.

So I was disappointed at this friend of mine who wouldn't pick my calls, there was stuff happening in her life and she felt this need to disconnect from old friends, seek out new ones and I was chosen for special punishment.  And then it happened, last month, after all most 8 months of silence, pain and sorrow had mingled with most things in life during those months for me, she called !  Now normally, I am an early riser, requiring only 5 hours of sleep even during my worst nights, and this critical day, I was sleeping with my phone switched off.  It must have been 10:30 am, and I was still asleep when the most important call of the day should have shocked me out of my sleep.  I got up around 2 hours later, did what I normally do, bath and deoderant mixed my world with the surreal smell of a Luxury Soap and Davidoff.  I looked at my mobile, and realizing it was switched off, turned it back on, and was, as said before, shocked out of my languid stupor by the name that appeared in the missed call list.

What ?!! the F was going on ? How the hell .......... ? Some immediate reactions and I am not too pleasant a person when I wake up, yet my mind was in overdrive, did she really call or was I dreaming this up, was the phone company upto some prank, was this indeed a late April Fools joke on a sad old man, I looked at the watch, it was 1 pm, pressed the call button on the mobile, it rang, so I was obviously off the "reject list".  I waited long enough for someone to answer and then cut the line.  She called back within 10  minutes, and they were the most torturous 10 mins of my life.  I am a very emotionally sensitive person, and with somebody I had no news of for the last eight months, even more so.  She could have died for all I knew and somebody, a family member or friend was calling me to let me know, or an accident, I was conjuring up the most bizarre scenarios which included the fact that maybe she or somebody had made the call by mistake.  But sure enough, all thoughts were put to rest when my mobile rang again.

"Hello," I said in a timid voice.
"Hi Mandy," the voice distinctive and unmistakably hers, I opened the door to the balcony and walked out into the heat of the afternoon sun.  Now I have this umbrella on my balcony that shades a coffee table and a couple of chairs but the umbrella still has to be opened.  I struggled with the umbrella, I think, I was too stunned to realize that the knot around it was still tied.
"How are you doing ?" I said in a quiet voice, while all I wanted to do was to ask her was where she had been all these months.
"I am fineee," the voice was faintly mocking, almost as if she realized my shock, sensed it.  I had finally got my umbrella open and plonked myself in the chair, a sense of relief writ large on my face, more out of the call than what normally would be the thought of getting out of the blazing Sun.  I suddenly realized I was happy, more happy than I had been months to hear this voice.

We all make friends in our lives, some more strong bonds than the others, however in these modern times, there is no space or time for mourning when a friend leaves or breaks the bonds or so I am told.  Though, I am more traditionally minded than most people when it comes to friends, I can't imagine cutting the string without a remorseful thought in my mind, most of my best relations are alive because I have chosen to keep them alive.  The feeling of happiness has permeated my thoughts till this day, and its almost turning in to June now.  I haven't written much of Solar in my May, but figured I would share my thoughts on this post with you.
You Win Some and You Lose Some But You Never Give Up Trying.

0 comments:

Post a Comment