Wednesday 24 April 2013

The Client Wishlist

Most Sales people indulge in a little bit of fantasy, a little bit of mind play, around which they build their orders.  I for instance dream of my 10 million that I will make sooner than later, and it will be soon when I have my dream come true.  Imagine a world where nobody dreamt, people abusing each other and fighting for every single new thought, resorting to being penny wise.  It would really be a very Non-Utopian world, if ever there was a word as that, because it would set free on us the demons that kill every single innovative thought the human mind can envisage.  So, when I walk into a clients office, three things run in my head, is it a woman I am dealing with ? God, let it be a women, I am much better off with them, do they want a product right now or a demonstration of the brand ? and is there a game we can play here to keep it light and  above the board ?

Friend of mine, and a very good friend of mine, once said to me, "I refuse to work with you, even if you need me, you and I will never work together."
"Huh ?"
"You are too emotional, I need people with me who are smart, street smart and wise at the same time," she said, mentioning a few other friends of hers who she thought fitted the role of a partner, boss or colleague.
"But I am street smart," I tried brushing aside her argument.
"The why the f**k are you being so indulgent with me ?" she poured out more venom, her hair was bristling and face was flush with anger, red and fiery.  It was true, I was too indulgent with her, and reasoning with someone would be detrimental to me.  I must have been a total buffoon to not understand people and their reasoning in choosing work partners, I mean it must be easier than choosing bed partners and I am sure that's where all their street smartness goes into, deciding who to employ.  That day changed my whole attitude to life, actually changed my life, I realized what it took to find customers and I saw I didn't have it me.  I had known this women for a while now, about 4 years and life just took a turn into the nearest ditch, probably because those days I didn't take criticism as well.  But she was right, as she always is, I had come to notice, people are not what they seem, the smile on their faces doesn't signal acceptance and tears not necessarily mean somebody hurt them.  God bless you woman, thank the lord everyday that you are still with me.

Occasionally, actually very often, I meet customers who are as adamant on an opinion, obstinate and obdurate, to the extent of being confused and yet firing all cylinders.  I treat them as my nine month plan, a baby will be born, but it will take its time, it probably hasn't even decided what it wants to be.  More often than not, this kind of client yells at me, degrades me and wants to run my nose in the ground,

"You creep, where is the quotation ?"
"You SOB, didn't they tell you I am the one shelling out the money here ~!!~"
"Where the hell have you been all these days ~!~"

Actually, sales is about treating everyone like a client, you don't hate or love a client, a client is a client, to be favoured and understood to mutual satisfaction.  Getting too close is unfortunate and a deviation from the some established well understood successful methodologies.  If my sales skills and techniques need a lot more honing, then there will be a better salesperson you will find soon, though these words are best not mentioned in meetings, every single dollar counts and it is important to harness all the goodwill one can get, till we connect with the customer we just keep on trying again and again.
No abuses please, it kills my creativity.

0 comments:

Post a Comment