Saturday 27 April 2013

Tracking Those Hits

So you have a new blog or website, there are visitors coming on to the site, you want to make this site a big success, ideas are brewing up in the head, ten thousands of them.  Before you take the next step, remember to always acknowledge all your existing readers.  A common refrain that comes to that is,
----------
How do I do that?
I don't even know who they are?
Blogger doesn't help me identify those people, my site can only show me number of hits.
----------

That is a correct assessment if you continue to use freeware, for me however, it was important to know these faceless people who have found something on the blog that interested them, wanted to know what they were looking for.  These are real people with faces, families, lives and work.  For the last two months I have been curious to figure out these answers and here is why :

1.  I am writing a book on Solar Sales and Social Media is a very real part of it.
2.  If my readers were to develop a website, they would want to know who saw the website.
3.  It is important not only to share with the Social Media, but to also track your followers.
4.  This helps you track who your followers are sharing your posts with.

Given these questions, I had my answer after a bit of research of other blogs on the web, FEEDJIT.  A tool that brings to you a real time view of who has been to your website. Ricky wrote in from Gurgaon, regarding this tool, he is ardent blogger and a consultant to many research firms.
"I don't believe in writing in isolation, we always must connect to our readers, if it takes a collaborative effort then so be it, this tool I tell you about, is remarkable in its approach to being writer friendly.  I had faced the same dilemma many times, how does one know who is visiting the blog, this is the answer," he said in his mail.  I downloaded the software immediately and found it very useful.
 Below is a detailed look at the visitor profile on this blog.





If we closely analyse this picture, it shows us who came in to visit from which location to view the blog and what they are viewing and for how long.  Apart from this there a host of other criterions that are available to understand how users behave on your blog.  Feedjit gives the following options to track readers and their profiles :

1. Live Traffic
2. Email Alerts
3. Site Graphs
4. More Graphs
5. Page Traffic (Image on top)
6. Referrer Traffic
7. Search Traffic
8. Geo Traffic
9. Language Traffic
10.Browsers and OS

Using these graphs, its easy to analyse the website with respect to Content, Users, Regions, Languages and OSs.  Getting users on the website is only half the task, the other half is retaining them and that's where FEEDJIT comes into play.  This has been a remarkable learning curve for the last 1 week and I hope more people write in with their comments at info@freshenergy.co.













0 comments:

Post a Comment