Sunday 13 October 2013

The Long Walk

It was a bright sunny day again, the last two days had heralded the winter to the city and I welcomed it with full gaiety, "I wanna take my Summer life away," I had enjoyed this summer thoroughly though and was looking forward to the winter too, "damn, twelve months was too short a time for the year," Anjali had stayed with me through thick and thin this Summer and that made me happy.  She was busy brewing up some coffee when I walked into her immaculately clean kitchen, "the spoons in place and the plates in the cradle," two cups were lying neatly, with sugar already in them and the coffee machine was making all the right noises.  I had a plan for this Saturday and was eager to know her opinion about it, she sniffled her way to sink, and said, "tell me."

See, this Summer we had been to long walks and drives and to end the Summer I planned for a two day long hiking trip, there was already some mist in the morning and dew drops delicately poised virtually everywhere by Mother Nature, "damn the mornings would get cold without the Sun," and before that happened a long weekend was probably the ideal thing.  Anjali was somebody who never got sold on an idea unless she had logically evaluated it, and this time around she approved within five minutes, she said she also wanted to stretch her legs, "her mind her as well," and that was a phenomenal thought.  She believed that we went through our lives like a routine, doing things by default, "damn, I could believe that," a routine helped us tide over the daily dose of thoughts, "and this was mindless," we believed that there was sanity in routine as this would help us cut down on our thoughts and help us focus our minds on what we needed to. On the contrary sometimes the routine needed to be re-evaluated to help us focus more intensely.

Romeo was as usual buzzing around the house, Anjali asked me to quickly finish breakfast and get my car ready for the trip, she served me Honey Pancakes with butter, "man, I loved her pancakes," they were served crisp and brown, the honey splattered in a design on top of them.  She had once told me that she had got this recipe from her grandmother, she would bake the pancakes in the microwave after having prepared the batter, and what normally would take people 1/2 hour to do, she would finish in flat fifteen minutes, the secret to them being this perfectly brown lay in the temperature of the microwave, it had to be just perfect and the timing even more perfect.  I had my own recipes for everything but gave more credence to her recipes than mine, she was good at everything, from cooking to trekking to her work, "perfection personified."
Goodness exists because there is Evil.


0 comments:

Post a Comment