Tuesday 11 June 2013

Sequel to ... Renewables Are Not Only Electricity

We all take decisions relating to our life based on the parameters we are subject to, sometimes these parameters may include our Environment, other times it may just be our own Values and other times they include people like our Friends.  When I took up Renewables as a profession it was my values that created the vision, and I do believe Values to be the best source for decision making, I knew what I had achieved for the past few years and what was expected of me, which included a commitment to the green temperament and a liking for things Nature preferred.  My environment played a role as well, there were people willing and offering me jobs in the renewable segment, it wasn't the end of the world but it certainly told me what me that we were close, if we chose to subjugate other living things on the Planet Earth.  To suppress and curb seemed to have been our Motto, and often enough, that is a recipe for disaster, people woke up to the green concept in 1997, however I believe the time line was too late, and had it not been for certain radical steps that set unprecedented standards for the Kyoto Protocol to work by, things would not be where they are in 2013.

Last night, a friend influenced my decision to rework renewables and see them as an individual whole rather than a sum of the parts, very similar to the wave theory of Neil Bohr and the uncertainty principle of Werner Heisenberg. In the past human logic has taken significant steps to break down all domains to understand its functioning, most scientists deal with parts rather than the whole, and to their credit, it is probably easier to think of things as making up a whole.  My friend seemed to think otherwise, according to her, if we cut down a 200 hundred old tree and plant another 10 in return it doesn't undo the damage, and it did seem to make sense, similar mistakes has brought about ozone layer depletion and an onslaught of solar ray diseases like skin cancer.

"So what do I do if Solar isn't the only thing that will bring about a change, I have already experimented with wind and Biomass."
"Think big, the world is thinking about it, just they other day I was at the trade fair and they had high quality recycled paper that out did all that glossy paper could do," she said sipping her first cup of tea of the morning.
"There are already people doing recycling, there might not be too much to do in that area," I ignored the buzz in my head that said that this was a good idea.  I have noticed that it is always a better thing to think of the downside before the actual work begins.

This friend called again this morning, she works for Barclays and is into outsourcing and similar technologies, I have know her since 2010 and yet have of late spoken to her very little after our initial interactions, she seems to be doing well at Barclays.  When she called this morning, she seemed to have a lot on her mind and yet had made the effort to make the call, we chatted a bit and then she got down to why she had called me.  It seems she had been thinking of variety of projects to work on and Barclays had recommended a go green philosophy as part of its work culture and interesting one of the most critical areas they wanted to focus on was recycled paper as a beginning.  Was it mere coincident or something else I wondered, as a matter of fact I don't believe in too much of it, and therefore was immediately on the guard, my senses tuned into this coincident, Barclays recommending work on recycled paper and in fact already enquiring about it for an order, was too much for this realist soul.

I have been a dreamer for most of my life, dreaming up ideas and living them as far as possible, my dreams are for me to live in them, and its tough because the toughest research of a topic goes to complicate life a bit and then some.  Its akin to scientists who begin to work on the frontier of ideas and pay for it as the research wrecks havoc on their lives, both professional and personal, especially personal.  I have worked for a research lab in Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, the lab belonged to NIIT Limited and I was a full employee of NIIT, during those times I found research invigorating and I am trying to evolve the same culture to my work for Solar.  Till today I had looked at Renewables as a sum of parts, and only today, when this lightening struck me, I realised that it is a wholesome meal, to be cooked and matured over one oven.
One Source, Multiple Heads With Ideas.

0 comments:

Post a Comment