Friday 28 June 2013

Superman Wears a Skirt

Isn't it strange how the weather affects us, "I need an umbrella," today there a million things to do and yet the weather, its hot and humid, like it wants to rain, and then "here comes the sun," strangely enough it mimics my moods these day, "as moody as the five minute downpour,"  it swings between blissful unawareness to a grouchiness, I am just beginning to fathom.  I got up this morning to daily humdrum of life, moms voice in the kitchen, brother chatting away and sisters just buzzing her head off early in the morning, "you moron its 9:49am," my mind told me and you are late and I decided there and then I was going to take the day off today, " a Thursday, day off ?" what kind of joke would that be.  As it turned out, that breakfast wasn't made, the maid wasn't in you see, somebody had to give me tea to wake me up and everybody was wondering who it was going to be, when my mind drifted to Riya.

I had met Riya three or four times during the year, each meeting interspersed by 2-3 months, we hit off well, every time I met her, I felt this surge of energy through me, " normally I am dull as the house mouse," she wanted to be a movie star.  "Do you want to go for a movie," she asked, it was September and the weather, just beginning to look up, "The God's must have been crazy to invent June and July."  I was game, she knew it, and it wasn't really a question, "Getting all the answers from me aren't you," so we went to the movies. I picked her up and she was attired in the latest designer outfit and accessories.  I looked at her and went blank, "look at me !," and I stared at myself with a feeling of inadequacy, I was in jeans and white shirt and sneakers. Man, this was going to be some outing by the looks of it, "was looking forward to it as much as meeting The Joker from Batman," hell where did they make these clothes, they seemed lined with gold everywhere I looked.

Speaking of designer wear, "kind of like the idea of designer underwear," that way I feel much closer to Superman, "not considering the fact that he wore his underwear on the outside," and gave Lana Lang the time of her life.  Now I am no Clark Kent, but with Riya I was going to have to play the part, "had my teeth chattering with fear," was I up to it, "look mama, its a bird its a plane no its Superman."  The movie turned out to be big hit with her, and I was the perfect companion, nannying over her like a momma, " Superman be damned," women relate to their mothers more than a hero I learnt that day, "now I ain't too good at playing the mother as well," but I tried and evidently by look on her face, succeeded.  It was perfect evening.
To being what we profess to be.

0 comments:

Post a Comment