Friday 28 June 2013

Watching People

So here I was sitting at McDonald's all alone and sipping my hot cup of coffee, "don't do this often," and she walked in, alone too and took the table alongside mine.  The man that I am, and lonely that I was, and hungry that I was, "literally hmmm?" decided to steal a few side ways glances.  She was nicely dressed,"like most women aren't  these days ?," and wore large earrings.  I started to read the newspaper, that they provide so magnanimously at Mac, "Not interested," my mind told me while my heart was thumping away and my eyes still veering towards her.  I am a little like that with women, I have come to notice this of late,"damn I should be analysing other people," I thought instantly, that's what I am here for.

I am not a professional at this, "but then not many are," though there are people who go ahead spend the whole day doing this analysis.  Its almost addictive, like the breakfast they serve here, its standardized, has quality and fiber to the process.  Its almost like restaurants are to people nowadays what theater was in the 80's, but what do I know, I just get into my old sedan roll over to the next best place in the morning and sit and sip.  I did Barista yesterday and the Cafe Coffee Day the day before.  Its almost like I am becoming addicted to this, watching people seems to be becoming a hobby, I sit alone and look out of my window and watch that guy walking by with a limp and wonder what caused the limp, or that dude wearing a hat and a tie, sitting next to the fountain and eating a hot dog, whats he thinking ?  Analysing people is a fantastic way to start the day, especially when you are a writer, its the next best thing to meeting them.  You must be ready for them when you do meet them, its like this hobby of mine is a preparation to an end.

So she sits there eating her breakfast and is she wondering about her next big job, she could also be wondering about me, after all I am a fellow human being at the same place and alone, "sure is a bond there."  I think she is thinking about me, because every time I look at her she lowers her eyes to her tray.  Our eyes did meet briefly in curiosity, like people who are wondering why we sit here eating breakfast alone.  We all have our reasons and no reason better than to get our thoughts together early in the morning, this urge is over powering.  To write one must be at ease with ones self and have this ability to listen to people and their opinions, to understand their body language and make them comfortable in their skin, that is a skill that I have imbibed.
I Saw It Today, The Meaning Of Life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment