Thursday 21 November 2013

A Small Town Fairy Tale

After breakfast, we decided to take a walk down the local market place on the Circular Road, it was a wide road with shops littered around, I spotted a Punjab and Sind Bank and we quickly walked down to the ATM, Punjab and Sind bank is one of the largest banks in Punjab and requires no introduction to the local residents, this branch was also fairly big with an ATM located at the corner.  We walked in to see a camera on the top, Nabha, as I had mentioned before is a fairly modern town for its size, I withdrew some money.  As we walked out, Anjali spotted a large grocery shop, I followed her as she wanted to buy some Chocolates and Chips, they were her favourite and she picked them up with glee.

"I like this town, its noticeably small and yet seems like a fabulous place to stay, this road itself, did you see the size of some of the plots, they are so large," she said pointing to the west side.
I shaded my eyes with my hand and looked where she was pointing to, "They do seem pretty big actually, we should walk down to a Realtor to check the prices out."

"I could buy land here, build a house and settle down."
"This is the country, Anjali, investment ofcourse right ?"
"Towns like these are offbeat, there is more life in the offbeat than than fast paced life of the city, people here," she said pointing to the groceries owner, "he is so content, he wouldn't want to go out of the town even if they gave him a million bucks."
"That's a thought, after all Param has lived all his life here and never looked at the large townships of Ludhiana or Jallandhar."
"He said something yesterday that had my mind pacing, God resides within us and each of our creations."
"I noticed he didn't say in HIS creations, it was our creations he was referring to, wasn't he ?" she was as curious as me.

There was a tiller working on his harvester in the distance, these giant machines, they gave the sense of stability and comfort to the ordinary onlooker, they were built solid and were the creations of the mind, an idea, a concept that germinated in the mind.  Every part of it had been carefully thought about and crafted until it stood the test of time to do the job that it was supposed to.  The job of a harvester was to accomplish harvesting and it would do that time after time, year after year without a hint of dissatisfaction.  It knew what it was made for and knew its job well, it required a human to operate and that was the only help it needed, for all you know, to the human the machine that he operated was just a black box, a tool to achieve a mean to an end and never open to evaluate what it constituted.

Param had this intuitiveness to understand machines, faced with a problematic machine, he would look at from the artists perspective,
"If I open up a part, will it spoil the countenance and the image that the designer held for it."
Then he would closely look at the problem and find the right tools that lay scattered all across his workshop, grabbing one that fitted his mental image of the requirement and while still talking to the client begin to open up the machine, the cylinder-piston that he had worked upon years ago for me, still remained fresh in my mind till date as the most accomplished piece of work I had ever witnessed.

My bike had been misfiring and he had closely removed the pistons first and then slowly opened the cylinder, seen whether the piston needed to be replaced with an oversized one or just refurbished, and then once the measurement was over, had begun to work on fitting the new piston on to the machine, the cost of the cylinder is prohibitive and probably replacing the piston suited me just fine, but not once had he asked me whether I was okay with what he was doing.  That is what had impressed me, the work had not once dented my pocket and yet I had the perfect solution to my problem.

We all work at different jobs, sometimes not accomplishing what we set out, the point being that adequate planning is required to carry out jobs when one is an amateur or an apprentice then as one sets into the rhythm of things, over years, planning comes naturally, sometimes the work that overwhelms us needs to be handled first before it all gets too much.

"I lost you or what," Anjali asked, I seemed to be in a trance with my thoughts.
"Just thinking, the plot is a good idea."
"Lets walk in and check out a sample plot."
"Sounds good to me."
"Did you like the tea that you got at breakfast."
"The chef had made it just right.  I like Darjeeling tea, what variety was that ?"
"A Darjeeling classic it was, and the aroma was just perfect, I think it's the blend that is so perfect, they make the make the most perfect tea in Darjeeling, I was there once and the sprawling tea plantations on hill sides are awe inspiring."
"I just like the flavour, don't know if I will ever get to see a plantation."
"Why not ? We must plan our next trip there," I said, sounding surprised.
"Don't you a have a friend there who works for the government, the census department, you told me or something, what was her name ?" I continued.
"Debanjani, right I haven't met her in a long while."
"Just like I hadn't met Param for years."

As we continued talking, I was thinking,
"Overwhelmed Is a Phrase I Use For The Unplanned."

0 comments:

Post a Comment