Thursday 21 November 2013

Sunrises On The Empire

I woke up to a new day, it was bright with a hint of mist, coffee would be great I thought to myself and almost started smelling the aroma before I had even ordered it from room service.  I drew the curtains across and let the sunshine seep in, the curtains had these binds across their middle so when you tied the binds they looked triangular with curves.  I sat there waiting for Anjali to wake up, thought maybe I should call and wake her up to see the grandeur of a morning in Punjab but then desisted, she wanted to sleep so I allowed her to, the newspaper was tied to the door, so I opened the door to read it, "nothing in it," my mind told me and I continued to stare out of the window, the breeze was mild and the tree leaves moved in the breeze.  It was pleasant, and I was in a more pleasant state of mind than I had been in a long long time, nature had this way of settling the mind into a rhythm, it quietly woke you up and then gave you sights to wonder at.

I had always wondered at the Sun rise, thought it was the best time of the day and without knowing had continued to get up early morning, my body clock now attuned to the morning.  I quickly looked at the watch, it was 7am,  that gave me enough time to sit quietly and gaze out of the window, read the newspaper and then make up my wake up call to Anjali at 8am.  I always had carried this notebook with me, no matter what place or purpose of travel, I would deftly take down notes and make plans for the day.  My planning technique was a little different from the conventional one of writing down a time based daily planner.  People were often enamoured with filling up their day with tasks to do rather than accomplishing things during the day.

Institutions and Factories functioned that way, they would give employees tasks to do and time frame to achieve it within, so we ended up with a society that moved like tick tock but was purposeless.  People did 9-5 jobs and their employers want them to be at work no matter whether there is work or not.  Robots I called them and I think correctly so if they were satisfied with their routine.  This culture breeds dissatisfaction and the planning aspect of it needs to be re looked.

I quickly checked the places of interest at Nabha and jotted them down in my notebook with the agencies supervising the site's phone number.  With the sites neatly identified, I sat down to look at the marvel that was the laptop and the internet.  Amazing what the internet has achieved for lesser beings like me, it has brought to the fore public relations and put the commission agent out of the job.  Technology was not one of my favourite things to learn, however with the advent of it, I had picked up tit bits from my friends and colleagues to make a decent living of the money I spent on the laptop.

I looked at the time it was almost 8am and quickly made that call to Anjali, she woke up after a few rings, she sounded hazy which was the first sign of somebody who had slept well, I promised to have her breakfast ready in the dining room in 1 hour during which time she would get ready.  I also had to check Param's schedule, he too was an early riser but must have been busy otherwise he would have called me by now.  I jotted down in my notebook that I would call him in 1/2 hour while I ordered breakfast in the dining room.

The newspaper which I could have seriously used as toilet paper now was lying in a bundle near the coffee making machine, I tore an obituary item from it and looked at it, it said 10am and gave directions to the cemetery.  Most people would wonder what good it was to have obituary items listed in the newspaper, for me it served a purpose, it reinforced in me the belief that I was alive and that there was life to follow death.  If we were to visit the Gurudwara today, The Samadha Wala Gurudwara, then it would be with the thought of peace for the departed soul of a stranger.  The obituary read it was for a

                                      "Vaishali Chawla who departed for her
                                               heavenly abode yesterday
                                                     God Bless Her"

Strange as it may seem, there was nothingness in this world once the stories of yore had ended, I was in the dining room and quickly made that phone call to Param and told him what our plan was.  Busy as he was, he quickly fell in with where he would fit into it, the Gurudwara trip was very much on and he said the afternoon would make a good time to visit it and then the local market place to savour some of the food items, I was a foodie after all and as I looked at the breakfast menu, scrambled egg and bread with cheese sounded very appetising just as Anjali walked into the dining hall.

0 comments:

Post a Comment