Wednesday 20 November 2013

Steady As She Goes

Life had come to a standstill, I had this limp that was getting hard for me to fathom, I tried to remember where I might have picked it up and nothing came to my mind.  I looked at it closely, the right leg knee was looking red, there was a bit of broken skin around and it pained slightly when I pressed it.  The cold air had accentuated the pain and retarded the healing process.  Injuries hardly if ever daunted me, but this one had me a little pained and feeling out of sorts, the knee is a very sensitive part of the human anatomy and I suppose I had what is known as MCL in medical terminology, or Medial Collateral Ligament Strain and it was causing pain to the inner side of the knee.  All possibilities evaluated there was a chance that physiotherapy would ease the pain, I picked up the medical directory and looked up names of physiotherapists in the locality and there were plenty.

I slowly walked into the clinic the following day, and looked at the receptionist, she was a pretty lady with her hair neatly tied in a bun, "damn and she looked pretty," as pretty as the ultrasonic therapy machine lying in the corner.  She had these strands of hair that came out from the side, her nose was upturned and eyes glittered like diamonds, "she was brown eyed and fair skinned.  I looked her up from side to side and then where she was sitting, it was a bar stool kind of furniture which looked and sturdy and suited her just fine as well.  

"Is the Doc in ?" I asked still staring at her wondering at the marvel that I saw in front of me.
"He is in, do you have an appointment ?"
"Its kind of urgent actually."
"You could tell me."
"Do you think you could help ?" I asked again, was she a wonder rolled into one, my knee needed the soft touch, "after all everybody had assured me it was just a strain," it could have happened to anyone and I am sure I stood at the top candidate in the list.

She guided me into a room towards the side of the main doctors door, the room looked simple, "like all doctor rooms do," wasn't the typical room you had expect, it had curtains drawn and a bed with a bedsheet on it, there was a towel stand with a bunch of towels neatly wrapped and hung, "it all looked very fine," except for this giant machine to the side that said Electrosurgical Cautery, anyone familiar with physiotherapy understand it looks the giant building blocks, "legos look sweeter and more curvaceous," I quickly turned away and said immediately, "What next ?"
She guided me to the traction table and settled me nicely in, like a baby, " must have been a cast from the Nightmare on Elm Street," this baby was scared, "what next, damn did she have all planned then."  With my pants down and a greenish hospital gown around me, I was ready for a shot from the ultrasonic machine.  She quickly applied gel to my knee, it was warm and gluey, "and man was it cold," and she spread a lot of it on the knee region, then she brandished a magic wand from the machine and started to move it slowly on the knee. "Ouch," and she heard me and moved away from the bone.

Ten minutes of the machine and I was fine and rocking, it was like a dream, "as good as new she had assured me," I wasn't sure it was as good as new but it did looked somewhat repaired.  She adviced three sessions a week and told me to relax, it was going to be fine, "she looked finer than me," I just looked a shade paler after the session.
"As Good As New, Thats What They Told Me."

0 comments:

Post a Comment