Sunday 24 November 2013

Roses On Steroids

There were a million thoughts flying in my head this week and I had to get them organized to make something of this week, and I had to succeed this week.  Organization is a very critical aspect of planning, everybody plans, some plan because it fills up their week, others because it gives their mind the satisfaction that it craves and then there are these who plan because they must to survive.  Occasionally the enormity of the task in hand takes precedence over its importance.  Differentiation between the urgent and the important is the key, important tasks make or define us, urgent tasks are always on ones head as something that occurs because the importance was ignored in the first case.

"Is there something that is important enough for somebody to give it your time, determine that first," Param was adamant on this one.
"How do we determine whether something is important or not ?" I vaguely understood what he was saying, but wanted him to be more explicit in his thoughts.
He pointed to the wrench lying on the shop floor, "That is a tool I use for tightening nuts, it comes in many makes and to get the job done I have to get the right combination of the nut head and the correct size."
"But that is true for any task, checking the correctness has nothing to do with it, if I was to use a spanner I would still have to get the correct size," I countered.
"The right tool for the right task is important, urgency is what the machine owner has in his mind, to get the job over with as soon as possible and get the machine on the road," he said trying to explain his thoughts and getting a clear understanding of what I was saying.

In all my life or at least in my past life, and that happened to be some 3 years back, I had been a dedicated soul as direct as possible and truly motivated towards my work, success when it came elated me.  I realize that now, to maintain a balance in life it is important to have your thoughts structured for the morning, I have started to divide my thoughts as Big Rocks for the day, week, month and the year.

Anjali had been busy with her job leaving me time to do a lot of thinking, I was organizing my life around her and we both liked it that way, it gave us a connect to each others life.  I didn't like the thought that I was spending less time with her but then organizing ones life around one another was going to pay dividends.

"Did you get time to pick up my mail," she asked.
"I did and its lying on the table."
"Do you realize we had planned that trekking trip and never made it there."
"Its got colder, hasn't it ?"
"Still could go," she said eyeing that pretty rose plant on the balcony, "it needs some trimming, you haven't got around to picking up those garden tools have you."
"I got the shearer and trimmer in that cupboard behind you."
"Do you think next week is a good idea to go for the trip ?"
"Would you be able to get a leave ?" I asked, I  knew her job was keeping her extremely busy and taking time out would be a task for her.  Time is always short, no matter who you are and what you do, there is an old saying that says, "Whether its the Cheetah, the Tiger or the Deer, no matter who you are, come morning they must all run."
She laughed out loud, "Where did you pick up that from, Webster ?"
"The Zoo noticeboard."

If we were going to go on the trip together, it would require kits to be organized, bookings and a car, I would want to rent one rather than going in my own.  I owned a sleeping bag that I had bought a long time ago, but a general checklist would be required and things would be needed to be bought, a schedule organized.  I had my writing that would have to be put on the back burner for 3 days so I decided to get a piece of paper and made a check list :

Travel documents (passport; extra passport photos; itineraries, etc.)
_Money: Convertible currency in cash 
_Credit/Debit cards.
_Day pack to carry your personal needs during the day
_First aid kit.
_Medication/prescriptions – ask your doctor about your specific needs.
_Prescription glasses and contact lens solution if required
_Small Alarm clock
_Torch/flashlight/headlamp
_Insect repellent
_Refillable water bottle and water purification tablets
_Sunscreen, hat and sunglasses
_Layerable, flexible clothes that are easy to wash and dry. Don’t overpack.
_Lightweight travel towel
_Ear plugs eye mask
_Comfortable walking shoes
_Camera, film and/or memory cards with spare batteries
_Raincoat/umbrella
_Waterproof jacket
_Extra warm clothing during winter
_Personal hygiene products.
_2 season sleeping bag 
_Socks
_Slide on shoes or sport shoes for wearing in teahouse or camp. 
_Waterproof, thigh-length jacket. 

and this was more comprehensive than what we wanted, now the idea was to brainstorm and get the checklist down to what was important, as it turned out, we could avoid things like "Slide on Shoe" and "Passport" since we were going to be travelling within the country.  I wasn't sure what I was going to be doing with "Layerable Flexible Clothing" but I had written it down nonetheless.

The important was obviously what would fetch results during the whole trip and the checklist was a start, Anjali was still fiddling with the shearer, she was trying to get it to work and finally it clicked open, she delicately cut the thorns from the plant and then trimmed it down a little further, "The leaves further down are pretty but the foliage would prevent more rose flowers from coming up."

"Where did you get this plant from ?"
"From the nursery down the road."
"They are pretty."
"As pretty as the bee that just flew by your nose."
"Yeah you have got some pretty creatures around here, didn't I spot the butterfly around here like right now."

Now it was my turn to laugh, the prettiest butterfly was right in front of me.
"Give a man fish and he will eat the day, teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime."

0 comments:

Post a Comment