Thursday 28 November 2013

Oranges In Spain

Anjali was screaming at me, she had seen me smoking a cigarette too many and she didn't like it, not that she was a teetotaller but what with me smoking so much, I understood that she was concerned for my health.  Smoking got my mind going and I had to decide on an alternative to it now, if she didn't like it then I would give it up.

"You have to control this craving you have now, there will be times when it will hit you that it spoils your health," she said with a grouch on her face.
I grimaced.
"Look at yourself right now, a male in the peak of his health, why do you want to spoil that outlook."
I feigned an apology.
"Did you have a good day at work ?" I asked
I waited with bated breath and then she replied back, "It was not so good today, there was too much of work and everyone was too busy."
"That's terrible," I sighed with relief, happy to get the conversation going again.

Then suddenly the storm settled in and I was happy to have her back in the conversation.  Cigarettes and morals do they have a co-relation I wondered and obviously they did.  Morals are the code that we live by day in and day out, the unwritten golden rule book that is embedded in our head.  Upbringing and exposure to the outside world shape our values.  Anjali had always told me, morals are mistakenly associated with some kind of rigidness and uprightness.

As the case may be, the connotation that word brings up has nothing to do with the true value of the word itself, the snickering in the corridors notwithstanding, it is important to live by a moral code, to have values that you can adhere to.
"Did you buy yourself a pack again ?" she asked softly now.
"Just three cigarettes to last me the day," I said wondering how to give up this habit.
"Quit the habit and you are going to be new man.  Cigarettes are great if you wish to smoke up with a friend, but as an addiction they are not nice.  Quality in life is about being able to use stuff in a controlled manner."

We were seated in the living room of her house, it was really pretty with interiors done by her and a friend of hers, the paintings on the walls were resplendent in their glory.
"Too much of anything is not good," I said to no one in particular but myself, I think.  She heard me nonetheless,
"I work 12 hours a day nowadays and find myself adrift, had it not been for our conversation at the end of the day I wouldn't be able to qualify an analysis."
"Quality is in the head I think, every thought that you think needs to be tagged by excellence.  Friend of mine doing a Spanish Language Course, Geetika, used to think that translation was the way to go, she got into a translation course, excelled and did her internship in Spain, got back and got into a great job as a translator."

I finished off petting Romeo who was seated on my feet, got up and got myself an orange, I loved oranges, maybe I would replace my addiction for cigarettes with Oranges.
"So you were saying .....," she wanted me to continue.

"Spanish is a good language to do, hard work though and then suddenly she saw that if she managed to get enough people hooked on to her command of the language, there would be clients who would want to get two plus two equals five variety, her friends encouraged, I remember Prerna who told her that she had contacts in the diplomatic enclave that would get Geetika running while she was still doing her internship."
Anjali brushed her long hair and was thoughtful, "You don't think she could have managed to live without Prerna's Diplomatic contacts during her internship."

Its finally about training our minds into believing that what we want from life is available to us within our sphere of values, the longer we stick to our values the more people we influence into believing that the code that we live by is correct.  The philosophy is not only tenable it also works.  I decided that the first thing I would do the next morning is to list out a code or values that I wanted to imbibe in my life.  If that meant spending two hours every morning imbibing and inculcating these values then I would spend that time working on this.

"What is Geetika doing these days ?" Anjali asked.
"Another hardworker like you, she is travelling this week."
"Does she travel often ?"
"Not much but enough to keep her busy."

"When Life Gives You a Lemon, You Have Lemonade."

0 comments:

Post a Comment