Friday 21 June 2013

No Strings Attached

I just love watching movies, the other day, at the cinema I told them, "Discount ?".  "What for ?" they asked back, and I burst out laughing, I was with a girl friend, note, I put a space between "Girl and Friend", and they weren't going to stop me from impressing her.  Didn't they understand, the ushers knew me by face, the ticket dispensers knew me, even the manager had been sounded of about the "Movie Buff" I was. "I am the theatre" I proudly announced, "What the F", I wasn't going to hold it back, I had been here yesterday and the day before and the day day before to infinity.  Six movies the last week, they weren't going to stop me from pushing for a discount, and the man at the counter didn't give in easily.  "Show me the old tickets", he didn't know me, and I knew I had a teeny weeny opening.

Out came my folder, neatly organised, normally I am a stickler for the "disorganised" but not where the movies are concerned, I had all the tickets of the past two months neatly stacked in rows and columns, "FIFO" I called it, First In First Out.  Sheila looked puzzled but not disappointed, in fact she looked elated, "Yes ! discount please", he has all the tickets you ask for.  I loved this girl, she never lost out on a fight, just yesterday she had shouted,"Get out 'er" and take the drinks with you, at the bartender at "The Striker" in The Promenade, I had been too drunk to notice that 90 ml was actually only 60 ml.  She could blink through a bottle of whisky and still hoot out for the cab when the time was right.  This discount was for Sheila I was sure, "When Harry Met Sally" was one of my favourite, "What the heck, Billy, you still one of my favourites", now I was sure Sheila would love the man and once the taste buds are whetted, she would want to see more of Billy.  It was going to be perfect, I would have a movie partner with the same taste in men.

Then came this incredible moment, they called the Manager and Sheila was quick to the take, explaining and weaving around his ifs and "butts", showing him the finger where needed, "to point in the right direction dammit" and we got around to talking about it.  He looked glaringly at the ticket counter agent, "What am I doing in this situation at 10:30 am on a Saturday morning, the other ticket buyers queued up expectantly behind us, maybe it was the "Open Kitchen Week" at PVR they all thought, "drool" I said, knowing fully well I referred to our discount, not that Sheila wasn't "drool" worthy, I mentally spit out the thought,, notice she and I were Boy space Friend, Girl space Friend.  Not to worry, we got our discounts and few extras pooled in, "lovely movie", she said at the end of it.  "Did You Count How Many Times He Met Her ?" hoping she'd say, "lets do this movie again. "No" I lost count, I think the Manager's kind of handsome too.  At least we would come to the same Cinema to see the Manager.
Free Your Mind, Else The Colour is Yellow.



0 comments:

Post a Comment