Monday 5 August 2013

The Bond Of Love

The Night Life in the city wasn't mind boggling, yet it exists, "like I exist too!," the days were getting much shorter which was nice, I preferred the night to the day, "I might have been the night cuckoo."  Anjali was very much a day person, getting up in the morning, her daily routine all set, "sometimes it was baffling," I had read in some scriptures that, "getting up in the morning allowed us to control the day," and the times I got up late in the morning I would curse the scriptures,"I believed in them as much as I believed in Santa."  Anjali had got a new job, a daytime shift and she was willing to experiment with her routine, which included me nowadays.  I was happy to be a part of her life, being much younger, she brought with her the zest for life and it touched me,"normally I was the canary in a coal mine," but with her around I was milling around, talking to people and meeting new folks with aplomb, and I did meet an incredible number of new people.  There was Lucy, who was the latest addition to my guide on the city, " the proverbial whats happening where variety," she was an encyclopedia on the best pubs and discs in the city.  Lucy was younger than Anjali, though I had realised immediately that I was probably a younger copy of her, the same vivaciousness, the verve and go getter attitude that was so hard to pin down.  Lucy could make your heart beat much faster that the clockwork did in a minute,"aren't there 60 seconds to it," or so I thought, but my heart told me a different story, but more on that later.

Anjali walked in after a hard day at work with a smile on her face, she brought some Almond Tarts and Starbucks coffee with her, she had earlier called me from the office and told me to bring some Chinese Chopsuey, which was her favourite, "she was the best," I had unlocked the door to her apartment wondering what was the occasion.  I knew how dedicated she was at work, she worked hard for her money, "Diana Ross would be put to shame," and normally she preferred cooking at home to relax her, she would fuss over the chicken or the meat loaf, pulling condiments from her cupboard looking to marinate the piece, the non vegetarian stuff was always to pamper me, she herself had turned a vegetarian, "who does that nowadays."  Or so I had presumed till she recited to me the "who is who" list of people who were turning vegetarian in our circle.

Now I have nothing against vegetables but the thought of a meat free diet made me go weak, my knees would start trembling and arms would shake even at the thought of lifting something as light as a glass of water, "H2O for the soul ?" I was a die hard meat and fish lover, somebody who believed in the theory of survival, "didn't I survive my separation from Anjali."  During the times of this separation, I had realised where I had gone wrong immediately, I had wanted more from her than what she was willing to give me at that point in time, we were buddies and she had wanted that bond, of friendship and caring to stay intact, it was more precious to her than an affair that might fizzle out sooner than later to be taken over by possessiveness.  Gradually as I progressed through the separation I understood the merit of her argument, " and we had had a mighty big one," see, friendship was a precursor to love, but hey ! hold your horses right there, not all friendships developed into love, "and we aren't hoping for that either, are we ?"

Normally people chose their friends based on certain criterion and their partners on some others, not all friendships developed into love though I believed friendship to be a much stronger bond than love.  Love is over-rated and over hyped, infatuations are rampant in the youth, short lived love affairs of the 30's are not so uncommon either, Heart Breaks and Divorces, while the bond of friendship lasts through the rustiness of age and zealousness of youth.  A love affair should probably have everything a friendship does, "never does though," but not the other way around, friendship is to me is much more resilient.  It lasts through the turmoil of love, offers support and caring, though some people may find it hard to believe that a man and woman could only be friends, but I suppose that's just a closed door attitude to new evolving trends in relationships.
I Trust This Intuition of Mine Now, Do You ?

0 comments:

Post a Comment