Sunday 25 August 2013

The Tao of Relationships

Anjali had been busy during the day, she had new clothes to buy, some work at the parlor and lots of chit chat to do with her folks, "and you know I had given up on mine," when I reached her place at 5 pm she had just got up from her beauty sleep, "two hours flat, would you believe it ?" and I had to push her to wake up.  I walked into the kitchen, it was teeming with food items virtually every place you looked, "and the refrigerator bore a forlorn look, she had been trying out a new Indian dish and had slept midway, I looked at the concoction and realized what it was, "Channa Bhatura," a popular North Indian snack cooked with chickpeas and fried Indian bread, "and fattening as hell," though I was ready for action, since the Channa was already made, all I had to do was fry the Bhatura or bread.  I quickly rolled out the batter and set the oil to heat up, and then fried the Bhatura while Anjali made some tea and finally after a whole ten hours she had time to talk to me.

She was in a very positive frame of mind, "it always pays to be positive," or so I had believed, till I had hit a depressive phase in life, my depression began with a woman I had met and parted ways with, "isn't that the reason mostly, huh ?" in any case I had felt lost after the relationship had ended, had quit my job with very little savings and then had started to see a psychiatrist, "and he didn't help too much either."  This phase in life had troubled me on and off for almost seven years till I had met Anjali and we had managed to drown our mutual pain and sorrows in double vodkas and self deprecating humor.  Life was so much better these days, I thought, as I ate a portion of the snack, Anjali meanwhile was staring at me, I didn't have to look to know that she had a question on her mind.

And then she popped the question, "what would you do if you met an older woman who you liked a lot but not enough to marry," interesting ! I told her immediately and stared at the Channa for some inspiration, "though most of mine came from the berry tree that overlooked her sitting room window," the little cuckoo on the tree would always give me ideas and put thoughts in my head, "where the hell was the bird now."  I took back the "hell" expletive as soon as it came into my thoughts and then the words flowed.

What would I do ? Well I wouldn't want to hurt this person in any way, since I like her too much, "so why did I like her so much, my mind popped back" I would explain to her the situation and would further tell her that I was not interested in marrying her.  Honesty, in my opinion, always works in personal relationships and all hardships of later on can be avoided by doing so, "damn this mind of mine," I was wondering, these are things that Anjali had herself taught me, so why was she asking me, was it to reaffirm some thoughts in her mind. I did understand that today maybe she needed a Knocking Board, a place in my mind where she could knock the idea around, I also intuitively knew it was about this new man she had met and she was thinking various options - permutation and combinations.  She would reach an answer pretty soon, I was sure, she was good at relationships, both personal and professional and I was here to give whatever suggestion I could.
To direct life would be my dream job.

0 comments:

Post a Comment