Saturday 17 August 2013

The Woman With A Limp

The only way out of this conundrum was to do something radical, that would change the course of things, "here I was sitting on my hiney and finally thinking," normally I am somebody who would just let things take their own course and not interfere with the natural course of action, however sometimes when the time for procrastination is over and action must dictate over thought.  We wait and wait for something to come out of life and when it does there is stunned silence because it is hard to fathom that some dreams come true, "and I was thinking sitting on my hiney," which dream do I want to come true.  Last night I dreamt about a paradise where there was a sea around me with me lying under a coconut tree, "snap out my mind told me," or that coconut is going to fall on your head,"something to do with Newtons law."

I gravitate towards dreams when my reality is in trouble, "dream on soldier," and then suddenly paradise is not too far away.  As a matter of fact I have been thinking of getting into some "Past Life Regression" Therapy, that would help me understand why thing happens when they happen, not all that we know is known in the present, "like I know my past either," but hypnosis is the way to the past.  Imagine lying on a couch and an expert putting your mind to sleep while they look at the past life and analyse the cause of an emotion or event in the present, "scientifically akin to an Einstein-Rosen Bridge," the dream or hypnosis cuts across the past and creates a bridge to the present, you can peek into the past, walk alongside your shadow and correct what has gone wrong, "is that really possible ?" some say the "Bridge" is the way and soon there will be a technology that will allow this.

Anjali came back a few days back from office all excited, she had made a new friend, Suparna, who had this physical disability, one of her legs had been amputated from the knee below.  Anjali seemed so excited that I just had to dwelve more into this story, "don't you love the more part of it too," Suparna had been married some years back and within 3 months of the wedding, she and her husband had a fatal accident, "fatal for her husband," and she had had her leg amputated.  "She is a fabulous human being," Anjali had told me and I believed her," hadn't seen her this exuberant in days, " obviously she had made a new friend,"  Suparna had been workless, abandoned by her parents and in-laws, in a society where even a minor infringement was a crime, to have lost a husband 3 months after her wedding was considered inauspicious, the grand Indian design of fatality and acceptance had stayed with her for a bit, till she started to dream and thoughts of correcting the one thing she had longed for in her past, a child.  She started to work for a living and now had moved up to the corporate office, despite the artificial limb and a minorly disfigured face.

During these years she had adopted not one, not two but four kids from different background, she had a house full to keep her thoughts at bay, "which I was told weren't too pleasant," it occurred to me that Anjali was a fantastic human being, in a world which sold derision for the physically disabled she had managed to befriend Suparna, despite the animosity of the rest of the office towards her.  It probably wasn't hostility, just an air of derision and mockery for her disability.  There were numerous people in the office who had asked Anjali why she spoke to Suparna, "that woman is funny," "like they weren't," and Anjali had replied back that she liked Suparna.

In this country there very few avenues for the physically disabled to make a living, "hah, living ?" the buses don't have ramps, there are very few wheelchairs at the railway station and people look at them in mock sympathy instead of empathising, snigger at them upfront, the society is filled with people who judge you based on ones looks, the clothes one wear and even the company one keeps.  For Suparna it had been a tough life ever since her husband expired and Anjali had just made it a whole lot easier.
Accept me as I am, I am who I am.

0 comments:

Post a Comment