Saturday 24 August 2013

The Coping Tool

Colonel Seth is a good friend of mine and Anjali's, he is a retired army officer and lives in the quaint little town of Chandigarh in North India, over the prolonged period of time that we have known him, he has always seemed a toned down, matured, gentleman at all times, "damn, sometimes when I think with him I am just meeting me".  Whenever he is in Delhi it is a pleasure to meet him and entertain him, " and there are very few people I like nowadays".  Last Saturday, he was here again and was at Anjali's for dinner, I turned up later than usual, "I seem to get all my work done on holidays," I had meetings to go to and bank jobs to finish, missed Romeo's walk, "but then Anjali took care of that this time," and arrived a whole half hour late for the scheduled 7 pm dinner.  Normally, I wouldn't bother about being late for a dinner appointment, but Colonel is a stickler for time, "he literally goes red when he sees non punctuality," and since I like him so much I had wanted to be on time too.

I entered the house thinking of excuses to proffer to Colonel and Anjali, "she was smiling as always, almost teasingly," and I looked immediately at Colonel Seth and told him about the traffic on the road, "damn it was busy on a Saturday, huh ?" he seemed in controlled and smiled back, "was he kidding me ?" normally he would be chastising me for being late, "what was different today ?" I wondered and smiled back him blankly, then looked up at Anjali and she hurried me to the bar.  I saw that both of them were well settled with glasses of wine, I poured myself a glass too and joined them on the couch.  Colonel was fiddling with his phone all along, he had one of those smartphones, " I find them so hard to fathom," and he pointed to it and started talking.  What he told me was like a summary of what came on his phone in bullet points and I just had time to memorise five of the points for understanding, "as you would realize it was hard enough trying to jot them down" :

1.  Civilian life is hectic, people are strapped for time.
2.  It can get disorganized because of various logistics.
3.  People tend to forget the value of time, don't remind them, only you know what its worth.
4.  Control your anger by thinking of the time the enemy arrived later than usual, and you had conquered the fortress by then.
5.  Use the delay to de-stress, sip a glass of water or have fruit, talk to people around you.

I was stunned, that's when he laughed and showed me the mobile application he was using, it was called "CopeMechanic" and aptly so, did precisely what it was named to do, the government had been working out means to de-stress war veterans and induct them into civilian life, and what he showed me was a prototype of an application that would help war veterans cope with various anger management issues with civilian life.  Anjali meanwhile took the mobile from Colonels hands and passed it on to me, striking the return key which would take it back to the main menu.  I saw the following heads in the main menu :

       a.  Indiscipline in Society.
       b.  Lack of Time Management.
       c.  Violence.
       d.  Rudeness.
       e.  Lack of Respect.
       f.   Depression

So, when Colonel saw something on the road that angered him, he would only have to reach for his mobile, "as easy as that ?" open CopeMechanic, which linked to a backend database of various symptoms that War Veterans encounter, this database is very comprehensive and gives solutions to coping with various symptoms including anger, depression etc.  A mobile application for war veterans, "freaky idea ain't it ?" and it seemed to work too, the Colonel was totally in control of himself, it did occur to me to mention to him that this application was just a "Coping Tool" not something that would help cure the symptom in reality but held back the comment, "fact was, I liked this application as much as he did," and most of all I didn't want to annoy Anjali, "see, the coping tool seemed to work for me too," she served dinner with me helping out and the Colonels deep laughter ringing out through the room.
He had coped well and so would we now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment