Wednesday 21 August 2013

The Panic Attack

So Anjali had a new boss, a woman boss for a change and she hated her.  I had often contemplated the differences between a woman and man as a superior, and more often than not the woman came up trumps, it isn't like I have a bias, however these were the facts that I understood well now, a woman is much more objective in her approach to work and sans the ego that most male bosses are known to possess.  I decided that I would gift Anjali a bottle of wine in lieu of her new job and new boss, I could see she was irritated and annoyed at the time it was taking for her to shift into the new role, "damn they were always so slow," to accept change and the HR department would start to judge and manipulate people around from the induction at will.  I had decided when I was working for the corporate that your fate in an organization was decided at induction, "like I knew too much about the corporate," and would attend all initial trainings enthusiastically.  The benefits of training, Anjali understood well too, she had arrived at 8:30 am, half an hour prior to the scheduled 9 am appointment and located the logistics in the organisation, "didn't I say she was meticulous," the water cooler, the tea and coffee machines, the cafeteria and the guest sit outs to name a few.  This was a small organization as compared to her previous one, "as she would tell me later on," but that didn't give her any jitters, small or big, any job was a job to be done.

Her boss was a well dressed, "and that was an understatement" woman with lot of refinement, she had class to be epitomized and sarcasm oozed out whenever she was angry, like a top notch woman, she wouldn't shout but play with words to make you aware of her anger.  Anjali had observed her for over 2 hours now, dealing with people and had felt a little inadequate, "more of less the word for the feeling," but had stuck on with the training, listening to her talk and her juniors reporting to her.  She thrived in making all around her feel anxious and gave people panic attacks when she spoke, it was almost as if, if they weren't running around her she didn't feel like the boss, even during the training there were at least five other woman and two men, "Anjali had meticulously observed," who were trampling all protocol in an effort to seem busy to please the boss lady.  Now Anjali was a smart worker and a very hard working one at that, she just wasn't the "forever pleasing angel" type and wondered if she would fit in here, after all if she had to run around the boss lady like these butterflies were doing right now, when was she ever going to get her work done.

Workers in organization I classify into four main categories, "and I am no expert like I mentioned before," I have just been an observant servant for many years and these years along with the intuition that I had inherited from Anjali had made me very hardy in evaluating people specifically and organisations in general :

1. The Worker Bees.
2. The Social Butterflies.
3. The Amiable Walrus.
4. The Screaming Hyena.

With these categories if analyse what category Anjali fell into, it would be the Worker Bee and the Amiable Walrus, "a quality I daresay she in turn inherited from me," I had seen her at work, she would get on a project and work non stop for hours, figuring out the intricacy and technicalities of the project before specing it out, constantly smiling keeping her emotions in check while co-workers annoyed her to no ends.  A good worker and an even better disposition, smart brain and one heck of a lady I had on my hand.
Do Well at Whatever You Do and Never Let Yourself Down.

0 comments:

Post a Comment