Thursday 4 July 2013

Like a Shot in the Blue

As I waited for Raina at the Green Park Metro Station, I casually flicked through the morning newspaper, "not that it held any charms," I had picked it up for free at the IIT crossing close by, the Hindustan Times was going to be free for a week,  "surprise surprise," it wasn't a newspaper that I read too much though, just that it was free had me with it.  I was working as a consultant for a company that made software, and it didn't make me very happy, "software sales, whoever did that," because it was all accomplished online.  I had a freedom to chose my time, though they shut at 9 pm"didn't like that very much," would have much preferred a night shift, at least that would leave the day free to write and I didn't like the tag of a consultant too much, "it sounded like somebody who would advice on things that he hadn't done," I didn't like the job much, except for Raina, my buddy who still gave me hope after six months.  Marketing software is like marketing FMCG, "it stinks of a soap opera," the repeats are interminable, and gave me a bad taste in the mouth, the characters change but when you look at the story line, its still the same.

I did it all for them, from making software sales to Small Shops to Top Notch CEOs, interacting with the developers for pre-sales and post sales glitches.  There are normally enough glitches in any software in the first version that it sends alarm bells through the salesman brain, so the next time you have a heavy session with your girlfriend, there is this feeling of doom in your head even before you begin.  On top of that, the developer is a prime ass, who thinks he has created the "Windows" version Bill Gates dreams of, never once giving you a hint of the bugs during the demonstration.  Raina didn't like me struggling with the developers, she always told me, "focus on sales," forget these guys and just do your job.  Though easier said than done, I had decided to so exactly what she had told me.

As Raina walked into the Metro Station, I was happy to see her, "hi dumbo," she called out, as always she looked great and put all the other women to shame, "damn she could call me anything," she had this carefree feel about her that was hard to pin down.  "Coffee or Tea," I asked her, "Tea," she was a tea addict and could make you drink it in all kinds of flavours.  The ride to Connaught Place in the Metro was an eventful one, "as if most rides in the metro aren't," she was full of anecdotes from her evening with her family and  I kept her engrossed with all my regular pep talk of how it was important to stay away from negativity," I must have sounded like Deepak Chopra," and to be positive about most things in life, also most things in life are free, like the air we breath, however, even if they were chargeable it wouldn't hurt to bring them to somehow into our circle of influence.  After all life was about discounts, and if somebody gave us a 10% discount on the water we drank for talking more then it made sense to talk.  A 5% or 10% discount was what we wanted from most things in life, a trust that was built on word of mouth rather than the written document.  Training to be a better person was more important than thinking of being an important person, and in the event of goals not achieved it would still give the feel of having reached somewhere.
Sometimes Having Goals is More Important Than Reaching Them.



0 comments:

Post a Comment