Sunday 28 July 2013

One Flew Over

It was a lovely Sunday Morning, just the right shades of clouds and a quiet gentle breeze blowing, it hadn't quite brightened up yet and something was missing.  I stared over the parapet wondering what that was and suddenly realized what it was, the cuckoo of course, "damn how did I forget him," this bird that woke me up everyday at 5 am wasn't there, the crows were cawing, running helter skelter, left then right, up and then down, but the cuckoo was no where to be found.  There was confusion all around, and this small bird was the cause of all of it, "where are you ?" all of them seemed to be asking.  I looked back to see Anjali walk in with Romeo, "this darling always made my day," Romeo had grown to his full size in six months and a giant leap from him could flatten me, "not that I minded," he was playful, full of zest and energy.  Anjali too seemed to have quietened down now, Romeo had played his part, "and he damn well knew it," this Golden Labrador was going places as far as I was concerned.

Anjali saw the disquiet written large on my face and asked me about it immediately, "she knew me well," I mentioned something about not having slept well, as I still stared at the tree where my friend cuckoo would always sit, it was 6 am he should have been around, Anjali decided to make tea, and I decided to sleep for another 15 minutes but Romeo wouldn't let me, he nuzzled me and then poked me, " get away my mind seemed to be telling him," but he wasn't one to give up, he too sensed Anjali that I was thinking of something else.  On a hunch I decided to walk out with Romeo for a short stroll, "the tea could very well wait," this Golden sniffed its way through the bushes and the short plants, he pulled me to the garden nearby and we sat there waiting, "I knew what I was waiting for," but what was Romeo waiting for ?  Thats when it came to me that the Golden's have this sense where they can pick up your worry and then they go about their own sweet way of solving your problem.  Romeo had sensed mine, something was amiss is all he knew, as he pushed me to look at the roses and its green thorny stem and stiff leaves while he scratched his tail.  Thats when I let go of the leash and allowed him to have a free run, he nuzzled the flowers and then turned left and then right again, looked back at me and then went ahead to the fountain.

I followed him and found him intrigued by the pigeons who were tailing each other in circles, my reverie was suddenly broken at the fountain when I heard, "or thought I heard the familiar sound of the cuckoo.  I looked up at the green leaved trees, still didn't see anything but the sound persisted.  I found Romeo was staring at me in jest, he wanted to play with the pigeons, I quickly took his leash and we walked back to the house, Anjali was waiting up on the balcony with the tea and I rushed up, eagerly anticipating something and lo behold', on the same old tree sat my cuckoo.  It worked out all well, the walk had eased my mind and I had found my friend, a little late today, maybe he had had some errands to run early in the morning.  I sat down to have a large cup of tea and patted Romeo while I listened to Anjali talk, "which was my favourite hobby nowadays anyhows," while the cuckoo played its sweet music in the background.
I might have witnessed the heavenly opera today.

0 comments:

Post a Comment