Sunday 14 July 2013

The Double Date

I had been seeing Anjali for over 6 months now, she was smart and vivacious and extremely hard working, on the occasional day she would come up with ideas that rocked my boat, I got the distinct feeling that she was working hard at keeping my mind busy with ideas, "and I often got the Sales block," on some days, my pitch would go awry and leads would fritter away.  Today she had had another brainwave, and she started to work on me, suggesting that I get my friend Gaurav together with her friend Shivani,"and the four of us make merry," I wasn't so sure, getting two unknown folks to see eye to eye is never easy. In any case I convinced Gaurav and we all met at a restaurant in the suburbs.  I had driven down with Anjali while Gaurav and Shivani arrived on their own.

It was just the beginning and just as I thought, the conversation was uneasy, "and I wasn't helping," I was too busy eating my Italian pasta to notice their discomfort, Anjali kept poking me,"but damn this pasta was too good."  Gingerly, I dragged myself away from my plate,"it was a masterpiece," with white sauce peppered with seasoning on top, and began to talk. "Gaurav is into advertising," I said breaking the ice for Shivani, "Oh! I see," she popped back.  She had been staring at her plate of Risotto for quite a while, "like she wanted to devour it," and yet not sure, Anjali then joined in and we went on to rant about Gaurav's job and how good he was at it.  It's funny, when strangers meet they always begin with their work before they get down to the job knowing each other, "and that's the personal bit," though I had never talked work with Anjali since I met her, we had always hit off on the personal note.  Gaurav looked uncomfortable with all the praise,"damn he could have been over the moon," and he did look a little warily at me, " like I didn't praise him often enough," I must admit my focus for over the last six months had been somewhere else," at the women sitting on my right."

Gaurav started off thereafter explaining his work and his accounts and Anjali kept popping in with the right comments and questions.  I returned back to my pasta, "the last few bites are often the best."  My thoughts drifted to the first time I had met Anjali, I had asked her about her parents, her siblings and her life in general.  She had replied in all honesty and that had been the basis of our relationship.  It had started of with me doing all the talking and then she had taken over the responsibility, we would often go on long drives with her explaining to me the intricacies of life, hers and more so mine, I was older but she would mama over me and from time to time, clearing the jargon from my head and putting rational thoughts into it.  She was the more practical out of the two of us, the realist and she understood me, just like I was beginning to understand her.

When I came out my reverie, Gaurav and Shivani were in rapt conversation, she liked him obviously and Gaurav was strutting around like a peacock, stretching her imaginations with his flowery words.  Gaurav wasn't that open with women but he was getting all the right words today and he sounded fabulous,"too good to be true, isn't it," she sounded so sure now, Anjali knew it had been the right decision to bring these people together, now the both of us smugly stared at each other while the two of them had a mutual admiration society running.
Stranger Do I Know You

0 comments:

Post a Comment