Monday 22 July 2013

The Homing Pigeon

I had been waiting in my car for 5 minutes when the phone call came.  How I came to be at this Metro Station was a mystery to myself, "like there weren't other mysteries in life," I had driven out about an hour back from my house, it was a Sunday evening about 4 pm when I had left my house, I had driven aimlessly, "as much as a tired hiney without a seat," for about 1/2 hour before I realised where I wanted to go and when focus came I had revved up the engine,"revved up? damn this sedan," and reached out for my destination.  There was very little traffic on this Sunday, "people were probably home watching TV," instead of watching the street, Sundays are really off days for most here, they sleep till late, got up and did nothing, "like they have been blessed," later watched movies and went to sleep again only to get up, eat and then sleep again.  There was precious little to do in this city on a Sunday, "like there was much normally," I was zombie looking for directions, just before I reached the destination, the mystery unfolded.

The 3 km stretch that now was between me and my destination, "and some stretch this," it was a tree lined avenue with at least three signal stops, one after each kilometre,"why did they put the signals at all," I preferred free flowing, in any case the avenue was blocked preventing me from reaching the dargah, a holy place which was frequented by people from all religions, "and we do pride ourselves as a multiplural society," I turned the car around in a quick U-turn and started to drive down from where I had come, it was then that the call came, now I am not a religious man but I did know that this call was important, it was Anjali and she sounded distressed, she was headed to a party and didn't know how to reach her destination, "like I knew today," however she was going to come to the exact metro station I was standing and get on a train for her destination.

I was shocked, I hadn't told her I was going to be here and yet she was beaming in on this one, "could there be more to life than I had seen," the mystery was waiting for me to unfold and yet I kept quiet, did not tell her what my location was and continued talking and five minutes later I found her getting down from the auto right in front of me.  Now her shock mirrored mine, "and this sure was turning out to be one heck of a Sunday," she quietly got into the car and we started driving to her party, I wasn't invited but I sure as hell was going to drive her down there, I loved talking to her and like I said before, I was going to be exactly what she wanted me to be for the rest of my life.
This is my life to love

0 comments:

Post a Comment