Saturday 27 October 2012

Do Chocolates have Side Effects

Friend of mine Simran ran into trouble the other day, she had packed her luggage to shift to a new house, rented of course, her husband was divorcing her. I helped her pack the luggage and arranged for a truck/tempo and before you know we were on our way.  The luggage had taken an incredibly long time to pack, as all women would vindicate, there were a myriad of small things to take care of ranging from a lipstick to an eyeliner to a nail file and then not to mention the clothes.  "Shoo Shoo Shoo .. leave them alone", and the undergarments were pointed at, as I packed the blouses, pants and skirts and rushed out as the doorbell rang. It was the maid coming for her final settlement, and before you know a well settled bank balance was already dwindling.

Simran had lived an unusual life, a strong, almost like me, a headstrong person and if she didn't have long hair, she would be or rather was my identical twin.  A loving and caring person with so much to give that even the cold heart melted at the thought of her.  Today she was in trouble and I was somebody who wouldn't let her down, not that I haven't let down people, but this is one person I will not let go and neither debase and abuse or fail.  The house was a pretty apartment, yet to be furnished but with lots of potential.  I loved the way she moved the curtains away to let sunlight in, it wouldn't be difficult for a man to fall in love with her, I of course was a buddy, and wanted to see her happily settled into a life that she deserved.

People like me want love and lots of it to live their lives, when life comes running to us we embrace it with all our strength, a strong hug is what I gave her as she turned around from the now opened curtain.  How I had come to meet her is a thought stranger than fiction, we were travelling by plane and had started chatting up, she had mentioned that an air hostess had been staring at me for longer than usual, she had the intuitions of a small girl child and same playfulness.  I just wished for her to be as happy as a small girl with a barbie.  As I flipped through her album of her childhood, I saw hope and happiness, the kind that comes from a life yet to be lived, there was a very pretty one of her holding a doll, I could have picked her up and twirled her around right there, this was the doll I had always wanted as a daughter that I didn't even have today.  Tears welled up, have always a hard time once the thoughts overwhelm me, and she just stared at me in stunned wonder then put a hand out and wiped a droplet away.
Just you pretty baby, my life on a platter for you

0 comments:

Post a Comment