Sunday 21 October 2012

All Part of the Game

I believe there might have been a time in my life when I would have been heavy handed with certain people.  The last few months, have not been easy, I have had to deal with a host of people who have landed at my doorstep in search for succour.  I have my own way of dealing with it.  Last evening I was on the road, the madness of Delhi was disconcerting, I was on my way to work, this guy just wanted to fly over me, now I am not somebody who would normally resort to violence, but the loud blaring horns, and there are like multitudes of them, and all variety from the shrill shreaks to loud dull thuds of the hammer, were getting me annoyed with nerves on frayed edges.  Normally I would have just ignored them and gone ahead with my drive to work which interesting is a very interesting one of about 35 kms.

I stopped the car and got down, opening and then closing the door with a thud, otherwise I didn't make a noise as I took a few quick steps, was stopped in the middle of the road at a traffic intersection close to the famous Qutab Minar, with a Red air conned Delhi Traffic Corporation bus to the right.  This gentleman was there sitting in a Honda car right behind me, he had been trying to get past me by the sheer might of his larger car.  It occurred to me that he looked very educated in a coat/blazer, probably a tie too, though I don't remember too clearly now.  As I approached him, there was  a look of disdain on him, he wanted me to move my gaddi out of the way so that he could hurry on his way.  I am not too big, just about 6 feet but I must have looked formidable to him because he refused to roll down the windows, finally when I did, his disdain had turned to scare, he was mumbling something about decency and right the language that I must speak.  Thats when it occured to me that I was abusing him, instinctively I grabbed at his neck, he tried to move away ineffectually, but finally seeing the docility of his act, I let him go with a stern warning.

This is probably the only time in my life I have got distracted enough to get into a jam of the personal variety on the road.  Violence of any kind is brutal and quick, when it happens, it leaves us dumbstruck and with a load of injuries to remember.  People go about their lives without too much of a thought to the stick and carrot theory.  Care to believe that there is a distinct possibility I reformed a driver that day without much ado.  Do you believe I can start a reformist movement around these parts, maybe a man on a mission, a vigilante cop kind of outlook.  I frankly, quite fancy the idea, the undercover cop and all that.  Though personally I fancy the "undercover" more than the "cop" part.  But then what do I know, I am just a humble citizen to the largest democracy in the world.
No Guts No Glory, No Balls No Story 

0 comments:

Post a Comment